setup - Outlook & iCloud

You want to synchronize your Mobile Phone with other Microsoft Outlook folders than default-folders? So you can have a look at OLMixedFolders.
PEvans

setup - Outlook & iCloud

Post by PEvans »

What are the steps to set up OLMixedFolders to synchronize the default Outlook Tasks folder and the iCloud Tasks folder?

I have restored my Outlook Tasks folder from a backup after the iCloud install, so both folders should have the same contents. Going forward I like to have changes in either folder appear in the other.
Sven
Site Admin

Re: setup - Outlook & iCloud

Post by Sven »

Hello,

It's not needed to have tha backup inside Outlook PST, because OLMIxedFolders can copy the content from the iCloud to the Defaultfolders.

1.) Install OLMIxedFolders
2.) Right click on the iCloud folder you want to sync with your defaultfolder. ( properties=>OLMIxedFolders )
3.) Tick the checkbox "sync this folder", tick checkbox "both ways"
4.) Remember the category you have entered in the category field on the dialog.
5.) Open the same dialog on the default folder.
6.) Select the remembered category from the list and tick "add the categorie on each item" checkbox.

If you want to add a subfolder on the default folder, please check the FAQ section, there is an example which shows the steps. http://www.somebytes.net/52-1-FAQ.html
PEvans

Post by PEvans »

I followed the instructions, thanks. The "attach this category to the synchronized items" field in in the iCloud Tasks dialog showed "Tasks" on its own.

I started with 510 items in Tasks in iCloud folder, and I believe the same number in the OL Tasks folder. I thought the contents were the same.

Now I have 1020 items in the OL tasks folder. Each item is duplicated, one with "Tasks" appended to the category. I also now have 529 items in the iCloud tasks folder. So the initial sync seems to have just created a bunch of duplicates in the default OL tasks folder.
Sven
Site Admin

Post by Sven »

Could it be that you have not removed your backup? Should I check it by TeamViewer?
PEvans

Post by PEvans »

In Outlook, in the "Tasks" view,

- under My Tasks there are "To-Do List" and "Tasks". I assume these are different views of the same Items
- under iCloud there is "Tasks in iCloud"

My intent was to sync "Tasks in iCloud" with My Tasks/Tasks.

Tasks in iCloud was populated by the iCloud software from my OL Tasks folder during the setup (and of course the contents of the OL Tasks folder were deleted at that time). I restored the contents of my OL Tasks from a backup pst before installing OLMixedFolders. I had removed the backup pst from the OL account.
Sven
Site Admin

Post by Sven »

Yes, To-Do list is only a view.

The problem was you backup, it's not needed to restore the backup, because the items are copied from the iCloud to the tasks folder (default store) by OLMIxedFolders. If there are still items with the same name, it can be they will be dublicated. Because it doesn'T check the subject, it checks the id of the element.

If you want to repair it, you can delete everything also from iCloud tasks. Now copy the backp back into the iCoud folder or default folder. OLMIxedFolders will sync it into both folders.
PEvans

Post by PEvans »

So OLMixedFolders wants to begin with a single source folder rather than an initial synchronization of two sources?

If I have OLMixedFolders populate iCloud Tasks from repaired default OL Tasks as you suggest, is the result identical to what iCloud does in its setup process or will iCloud have problems with those items?

During the iCloud setup process, does iCloud give items from OL Tasks a new "id" as it moves them to iCloud Tasks?
Sven
Site Admin

Post by Sven »

Yes. It assumes that you have installed the iCloud and the iCloud removes all the items from your store.

You can restore your items either into your default folder or in to your iCloud folder, but only in one of them. Now set up OLMixedFolders to sync with your folder and it will copy each item into the corresponding folder. The ID's remain the sam in most cases, but in case of copy&pasted items you have two time the same ID and it will change the id.
PEvans

Post by PEvans »

I disabled OLMixedFolders Sync for Tasks in iCloud

I restored my default OL Tasks folder from a backup (510 Items)

I deleted the contents of Tasks in iCloud.

I re-enabled OLMixedFolders Sync for Tasks in iCloud

The sync kicked off, but MS OL restarted in the middle of it, and only 88 items appear in Tasks in iCloud. No items appear in Reminders in iCloud.

So now what?
Sven
Site Admin

Post by Sven »

Hello,

Have you enabled th checkbox on the default folder to add the category for your iCloud folder onto each item?

SIL